This week, my loan brokerage, MultiFunding, will turn 7. In some ways it feels like it started yesterday, in other ways it seems like 100 years. Milestones are always time for introspection, and I thought I would share the seven most important things I have learned.
- When you start your business, you will be told that it will be tougher, and harder than anything you’ve ever done. Those wise people are correct. It will be exponentially more intense than you imagine.
- Find something that you love to do, and are passionate about. If you don’t love it, it likely won’t be worth it.
- Find some mentors you trust, and hold on to them for dear life. You will need them and their support, at every stage.
- Start your business by becoming an expert at every single function that is necessary to run it, and then slowly but surely surround yourself with people you trust who are better at each function and let go of control.
- There will be many moments along the way when something unexpected happens, and you’re not sure if you want to cry or laugh. Laugh, it’s more fun.
- Be flexible and willing to evolve and tweak your business model over time, but don’t give up on your values and principles. If you do, you will lose your sense of purpose.
- Celebrate your successes along the way. Seven years is a big accomplishment, and we’ve managed to help hundreds of business owners!!